Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mike's Prayer



Dear Theophilus,

As parents my wife and I are constantly wondering how we’re doing in raising our son. We sometimes find that we’re asking ourselves: “Are we getting it right?” Every so often our nine-year-old son Michael comes up with something that tells us that the answer is a resounding “Yes!”

This past Monday was one of those moments. As I was sorting through the myriad of papers (tests, letters, homework, etc.) that he had stuffed in his backpack, I came across a prayer he had written. I was astounded by what he had written. So with his permission, I’ll share it with you here:

Dear Lord, God,

Help us face the many abysses of evil.
Lord, thank you for our families and friends.
If we have disobeyed you in the past days of the New Year,
please let us remember that we are "all yours".
We are not perfect and let us not be judged in life by those who need prayers.
Help us know that you are there.

Amen

Needless to say I was absolutely floored. Days later I’m still amazed at how he understands his relationship with God can be on so many different levels. Michael’s prayer reminds us of how we need God in every aspect of our lives:

Protection from evil;
Thanksgiving for the many blessings in our lives;
Repentance for our sinfulness;
Acknowledgement that we must help one another through prayer; and
A longing to know God.

Our Catholic faith is a dynamic part of who we are as a family. We try to infuse it in everything that we do, from great family celebrations to the most mundane of daily chores. Between evening sports activities, homework and friends, we wonder sometimes if the message is getting through. It’s in moments like these that my wife and I know that God is working through us.


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete